Well, that’s an awkward discovery.
It would appear that my main email provider has been eating FF.net emails. I’m not sure precisely when this started, but it seems to have been since at least July. It may have been earlier. The funny thing is, I did think my inbox had been a bit quiet recently. Unfortunately this year has been rather chaotic – to put it mildly – and it simply hadn’t occurred to me to investigate any further.
When I finally discovered what was going on, I recovered about 40 lost emails. Those are just the ones that I’ve been able to recover; as it’s a webmail service, I believe they get auto-deleted after 90 days or so.
So, if you see this and you believe that you should have had a reply from me, you’re probably right. My apologies!